Friday, September 12, 2008

It's the End of Summer

Wow! Jordan started 6th grade a few weeks ago. Yikes - middle school! However, with all the rules, forms, and appointments required to register for sixth grade now, he almost didn't go at all. It was hectic there for a few weeks, when I realized too late that new sixth graders are now required to have certain immunizations before school starts. Too bad this occurred to me two weeks before school started and not a single doctor could fit him in for an appointment (not even Tri-County Health) until mid-to-late-September. Agh! But we got him in by getting a note from the doctor saying he would be getting his shots soon. He is playing trumpet in the band (second year doing so) and thriving. He is now in three advanced classes: Reading Honors, 7th Grade Math, and Band II. I'm proud of him.

Here are a few things I learned (or reaffirmed) about my son this summer:
  • - Has huge feet (size 8.5 already)
  • - Is taller than I am and still growing steadily
  • - His voice reminds me of James Earl Jones
  • - His eyesight is going the way of his father's - poor kid
  • - Has a strong personality
  • - Has far more mathematical skill than I ever will
  • - Plays the trumpet wonderfully
  • - Sings very well, 2-3 octaves lower than the trumpet - lol
  • - Isn't obsessed with everything dairy like I am
  • - Can troubleshoot almost anything
  • - Has a ton of knowledge in anything related to science, geography, and history
  • - Plays video games very well
  • - Follows in my footsteps regarding grammar rules, spelling, and punctuation
  • - Has a wonderful sense of humor
  • - Can program in his favorite video game's scripting language and be asked if he wants a job
  • - Can program in C++ and has no problems understanding it
  • - Loves Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis
  • - Is much more willing to try new foods than I am
  • - Has no idea that he needs to rewind a VHS tape before putting it back - lol
  • - Makes his friends laugh and laugh when he tells them jokes
  • - Can't be bullied by peers, as he believes that "worthless people have worthless opinions"
  • - Has more courage to do the right thing than I do (particularly in his ability to decline dessert, but also in more important decisions)
He is becoming a skilled person who will be quite capable of living on his own when the time comes along by:
  • - Doing his own laundry on a weekly basis
  • - Taking the trash out and bringing the empty cans back in every week
  • - Getting the mail daily
  • - Making his own meals when I'm too poor of a mother to do so for him
  • - Cleaning up from the family's dinner almost every night
  • - Happily participating in family activities, even when they include manual labor
  • - Doing his homework when he gets home from school, rather than putting it off for later
  • - Putting himself to bed at a reasonable time when I'm too lazy to remind him
He makes me want to be a better person so I can better appreciate him and his skills. He's a great kid and I miss him a lot when he's at school. Reading this list makes me realize that he probably does more work in the house than I do!

No comments: