Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Many years ago a great man was born: my dad. I hope he gets in a game of golf (or maybe just thinks about hitting some balls) on this special day. :)

Here are some things that I remember doing with my dad throughout the years:
  • Dancing in the living room with him (standing on his feet)
  • Hearing him sing "Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay" quite often
  • Enjoying his macabre jokes and puns
  • Laughing and laughing as he would make up new words to songs (mostly hymns...)
  • Running like crazy as he chased me throughout the house
  • Saying "Book-a-shoo!" and then throwing my stuffed animals across the room
  • Screaming in fear whenever he tried to teach me to ride my bike (I was sure he would let go too soon)
  • Giving him "haircuts" (pretending to cut his hair, not really doing it)
  • Squishing into his old orange recliner with him
  • Listening to him tell the story of "My Detour"
  • Driving in the mountains and his need to be Al Uncer Jr., speeding around those winding curves, which caused me to upchuck
  • Being utterly surprised at his reaction when I tried to dig to China in the backyard
  • Wondering how he could eat bread and gravy and nothing else
  • Watching him make fabulous roses for cakes (he'd always make extra just for me)
  • Helping him bake pies so I could eat the pie crust when he wasn't looking
  • Having him be with me when I had my appendix removed and how he was constantly playing my Nintendo games during his hospital visits
  • Listening to him laugh - it fills the house
  • Driving to an unknown destination somewhere across the state - just to be together
  • Being totally embarrassed when he would dance the Sugar Plum Fairy down the aisle of the grocery store
  • Wishing I could wiggle my ears like him
  • Comparing my hands with his and asking him when I would get my "grown-up" hands
  • Having him threaten to pull my loose teeth out with pliers since I was too scared to pull them out myself
  • Laughing as he would scruff my neck with his whiskers
  • Tickling me with "Scapula, scapula, scapula!"
  • Having me walk on his back
  • And many, many, many more memories
I love you, Dad. Happy birthday!

Here is one of the more memorable songs he made lyrics to:
Sung to the first part of "Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning"

Welcome, welcome, Saddam Hussein;
Won't you sit and have a beer?
Welcome, welcome, Saddam Hussein;
Here's a missile for your rear!

1 comment:

angela said...

that's hilarious--i don't know that i'll think of that hymn the same way anymore...

thanks for the memories!