Thursday, May 14, 2009

From a Noun to an Adjective...

We recently saw Bill Maher in a live performance. I know that people are eager to find out more about that experience, and I promise that I will be posting that soon.

But in the meantime, I had to express my thoughts on a realization I recently had. All of his life, Jordan has been in the front of our minds. Everything we do, everywhere we go, and everything we say is well thought out ahead of time to ensure that it is proper for him to experience.

Given that we're always thinking of him, I realized how it is that we go about making sure that the experience will be decent: we use the term "Jordanable" when referencing the activity. As in, "is this restaurant Jordanable?" or "I don't think this show is Jordanable". This could relate to what food is served in a restaurant (if he doesn't like the general type of food, then it's not a Jordanable restaurant), the material in a show (nudity is not Jordanable), or the general topic of a location (Disney is technically Jordanable, but he hates Disney stuff so we'd say it's not Jordanable).

Anyway, it's not a major post, but I found it amusing. I was thinking about if someone were to read my chat out of context and wonder what "Jordanable" meant. I guess his name has gone from only being a noun to also being an adjective.

We have tons of other phrases that we use from Jordan's little-kid days. For example:
  • Ooshes (shoes)
  • Ickidikidah (kitty cat)
  • Ticko (tickle - his first word)
  • La-La Oh-Oh (Law & Order)
  • Diah Mono (Diagnosis Murder)
  • Mono She Wrote (Murder She Wrote)
I realize that the last three are all TV shows. You can tell what my hobby was back when he was toddling around. :) To this day, we use these terms for their normal, everyday counterparts. Who would want to watch Law & Order when you can watch La-La Oh-Oh? Or wear shoes, when you can be daring and wear ooshes? LOL - the former words just seems so plain and boring!

To his credit, Jordan refuses to use his versions of words. He mocks us when we do it. ;)

No comments: